Welcome to Russell Elementary School!
It is an honor to introduce myself to you as the new principal of Russell Elementary Language Academy. I have proudly worked in education for the past 32 years. Over 25 of those years have been in the Garden Grove Unified School District where I have taught a variety of grade levels, served as a teacher on special assignment, was involved with DELAC and served on the Parent Task Force. I also served as the Assistant Principal here at Russell Elementary Language Academy for the past 3 years. These past three years have been a wonderful experience because I have had the privilege of working alongside teachers, students and families. We have worked together to provide a successful learning experience in the midst of a global pandemic. It is because of the perseverance and dedication of the community and staff that our students were able to thrive and learn in a safe and rigorous environment.
We are so proud to be a Dual Immersion school in which students learn to speak, listen, read and write in both Spanish and English as part of their instructional day. Students learn all academic content (language arts, math science, and social science) in both languages. Students have the opportunity to earn the Pathway to Biliteracy Award from the Orange County Department of Education. This school year we are Dual Immersion in grades Transitional Kindergarten through 4th grade.
In addition to the benefits of our Language Academy, Russell students thrive in a supportive, caring, family-like environment with teachers who help all students reach high academic standards. Every student has one-to-one access to electronic devices and engages with innovative technology as part of daily instruction. Russell has a schoolwide focus on college-readiness and is one of the few elementary schools to offer the AVID College Readiness program, which equips students with essential skills, builds a growth mindset, and prepares them for success in high school, college and future careers.
We believe that schools and families must work together to ensure the success of our students. We provide many opportunities for parents to get involved. Please do not hesitate to inquire about which opportunities are available.
I look forward to an amazing school year. If my staff or I can be of assistance, please do not hesitate to call us at (714) 663-6151.
Russell Elementary Language Academy offers a Dual Language Immersion Program in Spanish and English. Students begin the Biliteracy Pathway program in transitional kindergarten or kindergarten and move up a grade level each year within the program. Students will learn to speak, listen, read, and write in both languages as part of their instructional day by state credentialed teachers who have been trained to teach in English and Spanish. After school Spanish language classes will also be offered to other grade levels.
Russell is one of a few elementary schools to offer the AVID College Readiness program which equips students with essential skills, builds a growth mindset, and prepares them for success in high school, college, and future career.
Russell promotes a college-bound mindset and provides sixth grade students and their parents with an annual college tour of UC Irvine.
In 2018, Russell was adopted by the Angels Major League Baseball Team and an Angels player will visit Russell to present all students with school supplies, backpacks, and baseball game tickets.
Russell is the first elementary school in GGUSD to launch a Latinos Unidos Club to empower and equip students with academic support and leadership skills. Students visit a college campus and attend an annual leadership conference with intermediate and high school students.
- Small class sizes with supportive, caring teachers who help students reach high academic standards
- Every student has one-to-one access to innovative technology through Chromebooks and iPads, as part of daily instruction
- Positive, safe school environment ensures the campus is a bully-free zone with support offered through ASPIRE social-emotional counseling
- Engaging choir and instrumental programs to develop students’ musical talents
- Structured athletic activities during recess include soccer led by a trained coach with an opportunity to join a soccer clinic coached by college soccer players
- Field trips for all students and enrichment clubs after school in computer coding, art, golf, dance, and leadership skills
- Free after-school tutoring and extended learning to help all students succeed
- Outdoor Science Camp opportunity for 6th grade students to apply core standards in the outdoors
- Boys & Girls Club supports homework and provides athletic and enrichment activities after school at no cost
- Free or low-cost healthy breakfast and lunch
- Powerful parent education classes and fun school-wide events for families