Welcome to Russell Elementary School!
It is my honor to serve as principal of Russell Elementary School for the sixth year. I have proudly worked in public education for the past 24 years. I have been a classroom teacher, a teacher on special assignment, and an elementary school principal in the Garden Grove Unified School District for 15 years. My multicultural background has always helped provide me with the insight into the challenges and strengths that our culturally diverse families bring to our schools.
It has been my pleasure to help introduce and roll out the re-branding of our school as Russell Elementary Language Academy! Under this new Dual Language Model, Students will learn to speak, listen, read and write in both Spanish and English as part of their instructional day. Students will learn all academic content (language arts, math, science, and social science) in both languages. All instruction is provided by state credentialed teachers who have been trained to teach in English and Spanish. All students who enroll in transitional kindergarten and kindergarten will be placed in the Biliteracy Program. Students will have the opportunity to earn the Pathway to Biliteracy Award from the Orange County Department of Education.
Students begin the Biliteracy Pathway in transitional kindergarten or kindergarten and move up a grade level each year within the program. Students in other grade levels will also have the opportunity to learn Spanish after school. All of our students will develop their skills in both languages and they will be better prepared for the global job market where they will have a competitive edge.
In addition to the benefits of our Language Academy, current Russell Elementary students thrive in our supportive, caring environment with teachers who help all students reach high academic standards. Every student has one-to-one access to Chromebooks and iPads and engages with innovative technology as part of daily instruction. Russell has a schoolwide focus on college-readiness and is one of the few elementary schools to offer the AVID College Readiness program, which equips students with essential skills, builds a growth mindset, and prepares them for success in high school, college, and future careers. Russell offers free after-school tutoring and enrichment opportunities, several extra-curricular opportunities including computer coding, art, and athletics.
Visit the “About Our School Page” to learn more about Russell Elementary Language Academy. We believe that schools and families must work together to ensure the success of our students. We provide many fun opportunities for parents to get involved.
I look forward to another wonderful year. If my staff or I can be of assistance, please do not hesitate to call us at (714) 663-6151.
Russell Elementary Language Academy offers a Dual Language Immersion Program in Spanish and English. Students begin the Biliteracy Pathway program in transitional kindergarten or kindergarten and move up a grade level each year within the program. Students will learn to speak, listen, read, and write in both languages as part of their instructional day by state credentialed teachers who have been trained to teach in English and Spanish. After school Spanish language classes will also be offered to other grade levels.
Russell is one of a few elementary schools to offer the AVID College Readiness program which equips students with essential skills, builds a growth mindset, and prepares them for success in high school, college, and future career.
Russell promotes a college-bound mindset and provides sixth grade students and their parents with an annual college tour of UC Irvine.
In 2018, Russell was adopted by the Angels Major League Baseball Team and an Angels player will visit Russell to present all students with school supplies, backpacks, and baseball game tickets.
Russell is the first elementary school in GGUSD to launch a Latinos Unidos Club to empower and equip students with academic support and leadership skills. Students visit a college campus and attend an annual leadership conference with intermediate and high school students.
- Small class sizes with supportive, caring teachers who help students reach high academic standards
- Every student has one-to-one access to innovative technology through Chromebooks and iPads, as part of daily instruction
- Positive, safe school environment ensures the campus is a bully-free zone with support offered through ASPIRE social-emotional counseling
- Engaging choir and instrumental programs to develop students’ musical talents
- Structured athletic activities during recess include soccer led by a trained coach with an opportunity to join a soccer clinic coached by college soccer players
- Field trips for all students and enrichment clubs after school in computer coding, art, golf, dance, and leadership skills
- Free after-school tutoring and extended learning to help all students succeed
- Outdoor Science Camp opportunity for 6th grade students to apply core standards in the outdoors
- Boys & Girls Club supports homework and provides athletic and enrichment activities after school at no cost
- Free or low-cost healthy breakfast and lunch
- Powerful parent education classes and fun school-wide events for families